Cycling UK Lincolnshire History
There have been local 'sections' of Cycling UK in Lincolnshire since it's formation, a Louth section dates back to the 1880's for example. However it was not until 1897 that more formal District Association (DA) rules and regulations were drawn up. DA's were the 'means provided by the national council to foster local enthusiasm among the members of the club living in the more populous centres, and through which such members were able to act locally to protect and promote the benefits of membership, and to meet socially at events and rides etc'. DA's were later renamed 'Member Groups' in 2009 but they remain the structure by which members can enjoy a wide variety of cycling activities at a local level.
A LINCOLNSHIRE DA
Even before the formal introduction of DA's, Lincolnshire CTC members attended a meeting on May 9th 1896 at Woodhall Spa to consider the advisability of forming a county association. It would appear that no such DA was formed at that time, and the county would have to wait for another 30 years. The North Lincolnshire DA was finally inaugurated in 1930 and encompassed that part of the county north of a line drawn through Skegness, Horncastle, Lincoln and Dunham Bridge. It's colours were Emerald Green and Orange.
From the CTC Gazette, May 1930:
PROPOSED FORMATION OF DISTRICT ASSOCIATION
We, the undersigned, hereby give notice, in accordance with Regulation No.7, that the preliminary meeting in connection with the proposal to form a District Association for North Lincolnshire will be held on Sunday, May 25th 1930, at 2.30 pm, at the White Hart Hotel, Ludford, Lincolnshire.
R. Griffin, W.E. Booth, William Hallgath, W. Groves, N. Davy, Harry Peers,
S. Gray, S.K. Hardy, A.W. Evans, (Miss) M. Griffin.
Note: Bill (William) Hallgath was the father to Chris Hallgath who was the DA's Auditor for many years and father to Vivienne DeVries (née Hallgath) who held the roles of Magazine Editor and elected Chair 1998-1999.
The DA soon dissolved but a flourishing section remained in Lincoln. In 1952-1953 Mollie Pughe contacted National Office and wrote to as many Lincolnshire members as possible to gain support for re-forming a Lincolnshire DA. After meetings in Lincoln and Grimsby there were enough signatures to form a DA. She wanted Lincoln to be the centre with Grimsby and Grantham forming additional sections. Mollie Pughe produced the first Link Magazine in 1953 and the publication continued for a number of years.
The CTC Handbook 1954 (printed in 1953) gave details of the 'Proposed' Lincolnshire DA, the colours changing to a now familiar Lincoln Green and Orange. Miss M. Cox of Stanley Street, Lincoln was appointed DA Secretary.
After a period of demise, the only remaining active section was based in Grimsby - The North Lincolnshire Section. The DA later revived with an enthusiastic committee taking the reins in 1978 and a number of sections re-formed once more. These included Scunthorpe, Grimsby, Witham Valley, Viking (to become Lincoln), Easy Riders, West Lincolnshire (to become Gainsborough), Louth, Boston, Sleaford/Grantham, Skegness, Weston/Spalding, South Holland, Market Deeping and South Lincolnshire (to become Peterborough Member Group). Some sections were short lived whilst Gainsborough, Lincoln and Louth survive.
A quarterly magazine 'The Link' was published from 1978 until 2006. At the Member Group AGM held on 6th November 2016, the Member Group name was formally changed to 'Cycling UK Lincolnshire' in line with the re-branding of the organisation.
Chair (since the modern era)
1978-1990 Len James
1991-1992 Patrick Clark
1992-1998 John DeVries
1998-1999 Vivienne DeVries
1999- Tim Newbery
Cycling UK is the trading name of The Cyclists' Touring Club (CTC) which was founded back in 1878, although until 1883 it was known as The Bicycle Touring Club. For many years the winged wheel was the welcoming symbol of the organisation and remains part of our rich heritage.
Find out more about the history of Cycling UK HERE